1. Lumagination at the Botanical Gardens – The Botanical Gardens are a great place to go when cabin fever is calling your name, for an extra bonus: go during Lumagination and see the place lit up as if you’re at a rave party.IMAGE: Jane B., yelp.com
2. Buffalo Riverworks is the perfect cure for cabin fever! You can leave your coat on or take it off depending which area of the complex you’re feeling at the moment. There are two semi-outdoor ice rinks where there’s usually a hockey game or some curling happening and even roller derby indoors! Perfect for a day out on the ice or to watch a game on their huuuuuuge screen. It’s a 60,000 sq ft space with endless opportunities. (credit: Jenna W).IMAGE: Brooke S., yelp.com
3. The Darwin Martin House is a local attraction that is worth stepping into for a tour. Invite your architecture buddies. (Reopens on Saturday for tours). IMAGE: Paul L., yelp.com
4. Take your family or SO and check out Monster Mini Golf — an amazing indoor mini-golf experience. IMAGE: Kristen B., yelp.com
5. Free Fridays don’t stop just because it’s cold outside. Come check out the Albright Knox, Burchfield Penny, or Buffalo History Museum! Be sure to check out the Monet exhibit at the Albright Knox running through March 20th, 2016! The first Friday, admission to the Albright is free, while the 3rd Friday you can check out the Buffalo History Museum. IMAGE: Anushka P., yelp.com
7. Ever gone rock climbing before? Either way, consider trekking out to North Tonawanda with a friend and having an experience at the Niagara Climbing Center. IMAGE: Niagara Climbing Center, yelp.com
8. Participating or watching the Labatt Blue Pond Hockey Tournament in February. IMAGE: Samantha S., yelp.com
9. Ashker’s Juice Bar on Elmwood hosts a free Community Potluck every Wednesday at 6pm. They often have guest speakers and more. Even if you are not able to bring anything — they would love to have you! Come and meet some new friends. If potlucks aren’t your thing, join Travis Widrick and learn how to Tango for free on Tuesday evenings at Ashker’s! IMAGE: Alicia M., yelp.com
10. Enjoy a play at The New Phoenix Theater — a gem of a Theater in Buffalo’s Lower West Side neighborhood near Johnson Park (they have a “pay-what-you-can” night on Thursday)! There’s also the Irish Classical Theater and plenty of other boutique places to see a show. IMAGE: Kate N., yelp.com
11. Take a day-trip out to Ellicottville; check out Holiday Valley for skiing, snowboarding (take a lesson if you’ve never gone before), snow tubing, riding the Mountain Roller Coaster (open year round) and check out the great locally owned restaurants after! IMAGE: Skye K., yelp.com
13. If you’re feeling adventurous, consider taking a discovery flight from Clear Air Aviation, See the Falls covered in snow from the air while getting an introductory flying lesson! Bring a friend who will sit in the back and take photos!
14. Take a trip to Niagara Falls, ON (a short 45m drive away) and bring some summer back in your life by attending an indoor water park. The two highest rated places on Yelp are: Great Wolf Lodge and Fallsview Indoor Water Park. IMAGE: Great Wolf Lodge, yelp.com
19. Go to the West Side Bazaar for a culinary adventure. Our recommendation: The Kay Oh Soup from the Burmese place (available on Wednesdays). This soup will cure your blues (it’s a bit spicy, so watch out).
20. Come meet the business owner yelpers have dubbed: “The King of Customer Service and Delicious Food:” Taka W — check out the amazing sushi selection, Udon noodles and more at Teton Kitchen (rated #1 on Yelp’s Top 100 List in 2015). IMAGE: Alex L., yelp.com
21. Come poutine away with me. No seriously, all you need to do is eat Poutine and forget all your worries. Did you know that Allen Street Poutinery was named one of the top Poutineries in all of the USA? Also: we’re hosting a free Poutine Event in March! They are also hosting a Poutine Eating Contest this Saturday. (If you mention Yelp’s Cure for Cabin Fever, you will get 20% off poutine!) IMAGE: Kristen B., yelp.com
22.Take a cooking class – Culinary Arts Center has amazing cooking classes listed by the kind of food you want to learn to cook. Check out their list and schedule and get cooking like a pro! You may even be able to get Yelp’s coveted First to Review distinction.
23. Go check out one of the many breweries in Buffalo and take advantage of the numerous indoor games to beat the winter blues. Resurgence and Big Ditch are great places to enjoy a pint and get your game on with friends. IMAGE: Sarah K., yelp.com
24. Spend an evening trying to escape a locked room! WNY has seen quite a few escape rooms pop up in the past year. If you think you have what it takes, gather some friends and channel your inner Sherlock. Try Lock & Key or Trapped or The Great Escape Room or Perplexity.
25. Want to feel like a kid again? Jump around at the Sky Zone Trampoline Park. IMAGE: Ryan W., yelp.com
26. Drive around like the F1 racers and feel the wind whispering in your ear at the Pole Position Raceway in the Walden Galleria Mall. (P.S. we’re hosting a free scavenger hunt at the mall as well!) IMAGE: Pole Position Raceway, yelp.com
27. Check out a show at the Helium Comedy Club.
29. Take a walk in the beautiful Elmwood Village neighborhood and check out local shops, restaurants and bars along the way.
30. Check out the Buffalo Auto Show from Feb 10th – Feb 14th, 2016.
31. Warm up with a hot cup of cocoa at one of these talk-of-the-town spots that serve supremely delicious and creamy hot choc – Daily Planet Coffee Co., public espresso + coffee, Caffe Aroma and Tipico. Enjoy the fireplace and atmosphere at Public Espresso + Coffee inside the Lafayette Hotel! IMAGE: Anushka P., yelp.com
32. Try the Buffalo style pizza. Yes, we have our own style just like NYC and Chicago. It’s thick, doughy, saucy and cheezy. Try some at the highly rated Imperial Pizza or Romeo and Juliet’s Cafe. (Editor’s note: Romeo and Juliet’s Cafe has more traditional thin crust as opposed to Buffalo pizza). IMAGE: Edgar M., yelp.com
33. Warm yourself up with a crafty cocktail put together by some of the most artistic bartenders at Buffalo Proper. IMAGE: Loren C., yelp.com
34. Chow down on wings (Buffalo is said to be the place where they were invented) at Anchor Bar or Duffs. If you’re looking to stray from the original, we suggest: Bar Bill, Nine-Eleven Tavern, Conlon’s, and La Nova (only BBQ charred!). IMAGE: Christina S., yelp.com
36. Explore the Niagara Wine Trail and stop in at the various wineries that serve some supremely tasting wines.
37. Relax with a staycation at the Mansion on Delaware. For bonus points, have a celebratory dinner at Ristorante Lombardo and book a room to unwind. A local Yelper just did this for her anniversary and had an amazing time! IMAGE: Jessica M., yelp.com
38. Laser tag at LaserTron — if it’s blistering outside and you want to stay inside, there’s nothing like getting some friends together and feeling like a kid again.
39. Explore Buffalo’s only National Park: The Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural National Historic Site!
40. Take a picture with Shark Girl 🙂 — you can find her at Canalside. IMAGE: Paul L., yelp.com
41. Volunteer to serve a meal for Friends of the Night People — they serve meals to those in need 365 days a year and love community support!
43. Curl up with a book from Westside Stories or the Buffalo and Erie County Public Library. Heck, find a nice coffeeshop with a fireplace and read it there. Hint: Spot Coffee in Orchard Park has a fireplace! IMAGE: Joe P., yelp.com
44. Make a day trip to East Aurora: check out 42 North Brewing, the Elm Street Bakery and a plethora of other places in the area! (Hint: some of the best wings in WNY are in this quaint village!) IMAGE: Donna F., yelp.com
46. Don’t forget the Buffalo Museum of Science — our very own architectural marvel and a wonderful way to spend an afternoon with your family. IMAGE: Maria M., yelp.com
48. Treat yourself to a dinner at some highly ranked places that emphasize a farm-to-table menu (when ingredients available): The Black Sheep, Carmelo’s, CRaVing, Marble + Rye, Bacchus, Shango, Toutant, Oliver’s, Trattoria Aroma, Osteria 166, Local Kitchen, Lombardo’s.
49. Cheer for your hometown hockey team; attend a Sabres game at the First Niagara Center! Be sure to drop into Panorama on Seven at the Harbor Center after for a delicious view, drinks and eats! IMAGE: Lambert P., yelp.com
50. Soup at SATO Ramen will cure any wintry blues. Our favorite is the Kimchi Ramen in the University Heights location (and the incredibly comforting Okonomiyaki fries), although the Elmwood location has some fantastic choices as well! IMAGE: Jackie S., yelp.com
Did this list give you some fun ideas? This list is not ranked in any particular order and if it misses your favorite activity — let us know in the comments! I invite you to use this list and adventure with your friends! If you’re looking for some free activities — check out this list of free Yelp hosted events throughout February and March: Yelp’s Cure For Cabin Fever! Don’t stay locked up in your house; get out and have some fun!
-The Yelp Buffalo Team