Millions of local businesses around the world are impacted by Yelp. With that in mind, we formed our inaugural Yelp Small Business Advisory Council (YSBAC) back in 2010 to provide us with input and guidance regarding the concerns of small business owners. Fast forward two years, and suggestions from our advisory council have directly resulted in new features and services on our site.
Now, the YSBAC is extending its reach further than ever before! We are happy to announce that our council will now consist of twelve new members and seven YSBAC veterans representing a variety of businesses across the US, Canada, and the UK:
- Mellissa Morgan: Ms. Cupcake (Brixton, London – UK)
- Valerie Girard: Les Deux Gamins (Montreal, QC – CAD)
- Caley Hui: Garden Party Flowers (Vancouver, BC – CAD)
- Matthew Berman: Bolt Barbers (Los Angeles, CA – US)
- David Faber: Ortanic (Chicago, IL – US)
- Jerrold Polansky: Spin Spa Laundry (San Diego, CA – US)
- Laurie Moulton: House of Lolo (Portland, OR – US)
- Mark Ajlouni, DDS: Arbor Dental Group (San Jose, CA – US)
- Patrick Cuccaro: Affairs to Remember (Atlanta, GA – US)
- David Cohen: Lavo / Tao (New York, NY – US)
- Margarita Druker: Persona Jewelry (Boston, MA – US)
- JoAnn Clevenger: Upperline Restaurant (New Orleans, LA – US)
- Genevieve Poppe*: Odana Hills Dental / Madison Prosthodontics (Madison, WI – US)
- Julie Lim*: OC Wine Mart & Tasting Bar (Irvine, CA – US)
- Michael Galatte*: Ellis Island Casino & Brewery (Las Vegas, NV – US)
- Michelle Horneff-Cohen*: Property Management Systems (San Francisco, CA – US)
- Robert Han*: H & Y Marketplace (Hicksville, NY – US)
- Tim Gorin*: MyEyeDr, (37 locations throughout Virginia, Maryland and Washington, DC – US)
- Wade Lombard*: Square Cow Movers (Austin, TX – US)
*Returning council member.
In case you’re wondering what YSBAC members actually do, activities for this year’s group will include:
- A summit for new members at Yelp HQ in San Francisco, CA to learn about the different departments within Yelp and provide direct feedback to Yelp execs.
- Participation in regular conference calls to provide input on existing features and policies, products under development, and to brainstorm new ideas.
- Serving as a resource for other members of the business community who have questions about the services and tools on Yelp.
- Participation in local Yelp Town Hall events to network with other business owners.
We strive to work closely with the small business community, and the YSBAC is one of several ways that we do this. We also offer free educational webinars, workshops with our Business Outreach team, and advice for navigating the world of online reviews via our Blog for Business Owners. We look forward to continuing our efforts and developing new ways to help great local businesses connect with consumers.